Commonly Used Terms
Bookjobs.com is sponsored by the Association of American Publishers, the National Trade Association for the U.S. book publishing industry.
|[Back to Jobs]
|Description:||Melville House is looking for an experienced book publicist to join what is widely recognized as one of the most innovative and successful publicity/marketing departments in independent publishing. We're looking for someone with significant experience at book publicity, who is well-versed in the fundamentals, has good contacts, and is excited by the changes sweeping the industry today and the way those changes can foster public discussion of books.
Melville House is a mission-driven company, and features a highly collaborative workplace, so it's also crucial that we find someone who plays well with others.
Duties include performing all aspects of book publicity, including: designing campaigns; writing press materials; securing coverage; managing pre-publication reviews and publicity; arranging and managing events and tours; working with authors; maintaining social networking campaigns; blogging and regular participation in our award-winning social media; representing the company at events; and raising the company's profile.
THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB. Salary $40-45K plus full benefits.
|Requirements:||Candidates must have:
• 2-3 years experience working as a book publicist at a book publishing company
• Strong writing skills
• Good local, national, and internet contacts
• Strong data management skills
• The ability to handle a wide variety of books—fiction, nonfiction, poetry, cookbooks, and more—simultaneously
• Sang-froid when it comes to working under pressure, and an ability to hit deadlines
• An ability to work with marketing, editorial, and production colleagues in a deeply collaborative environment
• A sense of humor
• A wicked keen interest in independent publishing
• A brain that sparks creatively
• Deep familiarity with our blog and especially our books
|Company:||MELVILLE HOUSE PUBLISHING|
|How To Apply For This Job:||Please send via email with attachments including a cover letter, resume, and writing sample giving evidence of your ability to write press material and blog posts, to Publicity Director Julia Fleischaker at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please detail not only your experience, but how your skills match up to our list.|